Friday, October 30, 2009

Of aprons and crowns

"If you approach the world with the apron of a servant, then you are allowed to go places that you can't go if you approach it with the crown of a king."

-Jon Foreman, lead singer of Switchfoot, as quoted in the Nov-Dec '09 issue of Relevant




wow.

Other life and leadership lessons Foreman offers in the same article:

"I try to remind myself that I am here to serve people. If they want to take what I said and use it then that's an honor and if they don't then it's not my responsibility."

"You can't control what other people are going to do, you can't control what's going to happen, but you can control the way you approach a situation. That's one of the things on one can take from you."

"Ultimately, it comes back to the idea to whom much is given, much is required. That can either be a nail in the coffin, like 'How can I approach anything?' Or you can say 'It's only by the grace of God I am here and whatever He wants to do from here on out is His business"

"I have had moments in my life where I've been naive enough to think I'm going to change the world. And it's a really incredible feeling, the day you discover that's never going to be the case. So I think, ultimately, alongside of that has to be the corollary of truly trusting in the God of the Heavens. It this deity formed the stars and the space and actually cares about me, then as I abandon myself to Him,. there's a hope greater than some form of hope I'm going to drum up within myself."

2 comments:

Vanita said...

What a great article. Thanks for sharing.

Jeff Goins said...

I also enjoyed this article.