Thursday, October 26, 2006

Acts 17-20- Outward focused, and so much more.

I'm reading through Acts along with the fulltimers (see CTImusic.org if you have no idea what I'm talking about.) I've just returned from being on the road with each team for a week. Much of what we discussed while I was out was the concept of turning the corner from an inward-focus to an outward focus.

I finished our reading for this week on the plane ride home. Below are some of the observations I made on Acts 17-20, which I shared with them through our team devo blog:

I highlighted much in this week's reading. Chapter 17- Paul was in tune with his surroundings (outward-focused)- he noticed the city was full of idols. He sensed the needs around him and responded. He even sought to understand the local customs and artistic influences/poets (greenline vs redline.)

Chapter 18- he was a tentmaker. We don't hear anything else about this, but it was a point of connection for him with his "host home." (One wonders where he would have stayed if he was a skater.) And here's another vision for Paul- the Spirit encourages him to keep speaking. He continues strengthening the disciples- the mission we're encouraged to be on. And there's another reference to "those who by grace had believed" at the end of 18. Pondersome.

Chapter 19- receiving the Holy Spirit. What a challenging passage. Paul places his hands on some who were already disciples, and they "spoke in tongues and prophesied" as they received the Holy Spirit. (Is there a Paul in the house?) Verse 11" God did extraordinary miracles through Paul."

The kicker for me: verses 13 through 17. Some Jews were invoking the name of the Lord without believing, and an evil spirit quite litteraly overcomes them. Oh for scary- any truth in my life? Do I preach what I don't believe?

Then there's the whole mob scene in vv28-41, which is just some fascinating humanity. Everyone is in a frenzy, and "most of the people did not even know why they were there." Power and manipulation in numbers.

Chapter 20- Paul's ministry to those who believe is one of encouragement. And then how FUNNY is it that Paul talks so long that some guy falls asleep in a window and subsequently falls to his death? I mean, tragic, and a way that God glorifies himself through the raising of this kid back to life, but I think we are so often afraid to laugh along with scripture. This guy fell asleep during a sermon, and it killed him! That's funny, people.

Later in the chapter, we see Paul compelled and guided by the Spirit to go Jerusalem. He knows the prognosis is not good, but he is faithful: "I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me- the task of testifying to the Gospel of God's grace." v24. Here's a man with an outward focus. And note his benediction to the missionaries in Ephesus: "Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood. I know that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock."

Read and ponder the rest of Paul's parting words to the elders of Ephasus in Acts 20: 13-38.

No comments: